A brief note about the Kovan murders
July 16, 2013, 12:48 am
Filed under: By Rachel Zeng, News Articles, Singapore

I have deliberately boycotted the mainstream media’s coverage of the Kovan murders by not sharing any of the articles on Facebook or any other online platforms because I think they have forgotten that they are not the investigators, neither are they judges. When they should have done thorough investigations before publishing their very bias reports on politicians, activists, causes or social issues, they did not. And now, when they should remain neutral while investigations are on-going, they are suddenly filled with a sense of new-found journalistic adrenalin and creativity. As a result, they have created a twisted public image of the suspect with all their unwarranted speculations backed by their so called investigations. Therefore I do not see any value in acknowledging any of their “high standards of journalism” by sharing their articles so far because to be honest, all that I have read regarding the suspect are plain tabloid trash.

As the matter is currently going through investigations and will be heard in court soon, this is considered sub judice. With this, I urge the Attorney General’s Chambers to charge all the editors and journalists from the mainstream media with contempt of court.



The mother accused of murdering her nine-year-old son in West Coast has been found to be of sound mind.
June 25, 2013, 12:07 am
Filed under: News Articles, Singapore, Singapore Anti-Death Penalty Campaign

Originally posted on Singapore Anti-Death Penalty Campaign:

SADPC is very concerned about the following case and will be following it together with We Believe in Second Chances, Think Centre and members of civil society who are equally concerned.

_____________

SINGAPORE: The mother accused of murdering her nine-year-old son in West Coast has been found to be of sound mind.

Rebecca Loh Chui Lai allegedly caused the death of Gabriel Loh, who was found lying unconscious at the foot of a block of flats at West Coast Road on 1 June.

The boy was declared dead shortly after 7pm, less than an hour after he was sent to the National University Hospital (NUH).

It is understood that the boy attended a special needs school.

On Monday, the court heard that Loh was remanded for psychiatric assessment and was found to be of sound mind.

The prosecution said the 31-year-old is fit for court proceedings.

She has been remanded…

View original 20 more words



ST: New licensing scheme for news websites that reach 50,000 people a month
May 28, 2013, 7:05 pm
Filed under: By Rachel Zeng, News Articles, Singapore

MDA_LogoIn order to ensure that Singapore remains free of independent media unaffiliated to the State, the Media Development Authority (MDA) came up with a new framework that requires websites reporting on local affairs (one article per week over two months) with a readership of 50,000 unique visitors each month to be individually licensed.

You know what, you can kiss my arse, MDA.

_________________

By Tessa Wong

May 28, 2013.

From June 1, websites that regularly report Singapore news and have significant reach will require individual licences to operate.

Currently, most websites are covered automatically under a class licence scheme. But the Media Development Authority (MDA) will require websites to be individually licensed once they meet two criteria.

These are: if they report an average of at least one article per week on Singapore’s news and current affairs over a period of two months, and have at least 50,000 unique visitors from Singapore each month over a period of two months. The individual licenses have to be renewed every year.

Under the new framework, these sites must also put up a performance bond of $50,000, similar to that required for niche TV broadcasters.

Announcing the ruling on Tuesday, the MDA said the move would place such sites on a “more consistent regulatory framework” with traditional news platforms like newspapers and television stations, which are individually licensed.

The licence makes clear that online news sites are expected to remove content that is in breach of MDA standards within 24 hours, once notified to do so.

This material could cover content that is against the public interest, public security, or national harmony.

When the MDA deems that a site has met the criteria for individual licensing, it will issue a formal notification and work with the site to move it to the new framework.

Ten sites currently fit the media regulator’s criteria, of which seven are run by Singapore Press Holdings.

The 10 are: straitstimes.com, asiaone.com, businesstimes.com.sg, omy.sg, stomp.com.sg, tnp.sg, zaobao.com as well as the sites for Today newspaper, ChannelNewsAsia and Yahoo News.

Source: Straits Times



Straits Times, yet again.
May 27, 2013, 1:50 am
Filed under: By Rachel Zeng, News Articles, Singapore

Migraine plagued me the whole of Sunday so I went out for a walk in the evening, away from my laptop. I should have gone to bed the moment I came home but my fingers seemed to have a life of their own and in a minute, my laptop was alive and kicking. Now, the first thing I came face to face with was the following image that was first published by the ST:

378092_10151684190493023_2014077609_n

Well, I read the description of the first photograph with my brows raised so high up that I believe that they nearly dropped. Yes, I was one of those who “harassed people” who have been “identified as police officers” and have posted their photographs on Facebook. So did my friends, who were there with their powerful DSLR cameras. Martyn See posted videos of him trying to enter into conversations with two of the police officers on Facebook, which went viral. So what? This is our way of saying that we are not intimidated.

By the way, they were indeed police officers and I am sure that reporters at ST are well aware of it so my recommendation is that they just admit it. Either that or prove to us that they are not because one does not simply put words onto a piece of paper for national circulation without some form of journalistic research.

I have one question for ST and their wonderful counterparts in the mainstream media and that is,

“When activists and members of civil society got harassed by agents who we believe to be from the police force, why have you never written anything about our harassment?”

The answer is obvious: You are all part of the propaganda machinery.

Oh just one more thing: There is a difference between a “protest” and a “solidarity gathering”. What Jolovan organised was not a protest, but a solidarity gathering. Thank you very much.



Two on death row for murder to be resentenced

rachelabsinthe:

The reviews have begun…

Originally posted on Singapore Anti-Death Penalty Campaign:

By Neo Chai Chin – 01 May 2013

SINGAPORE — Two men on death row for murder had their cases sent back to the High Court for resentencing yesterday — the first since the law was amended to give judges sentencing discretion in some murder cases.

Both men are foreign nationals whose appeals had been dismissed by the Court of Appeal before Parliament passed amendments to the Penal Code last November. Previously, the death penalty was mandatory for all murder cases.

Indian national Gopinathan Nair Remadevi Bijukumar’s case was heard first yesterday afternoon. The prosecution did not object when his lawyer Shashi Nathan sought for his matter to be heard again before a trial judge.

Gopinathan, 37, a former shipyard worker, was found guilty of murdering Filipino prostitute Roselyn Reyes Pascua. She was found dead in her rented room in Peony Mansion in Bencoolen Street in March 2010.

Gopinathan claimed…

View original 222 more words



Death row inmate’s conviction quashed
March 11, 2013, 10:57 am
Filed under: News Articles, Singapore, Singapore Anti-Death Penalty Campaign

rachelabsinthe:

One man’s death sentence overturned, another remains on death row.

Originally posted on Singapore Anti-Death Penalty Campaign:

By K.C. Vijayan
The Straits Times
Monday, Mar 11, 2013

SINGAPORE – DEATH row inmate Mervin Singh was spared the gallows on Friday when the Court of Appeal quashed his conviction for drug trafficking.

The 37-year-old had been sentenced to hang after being caught with a pink box containing nine packets of heroin.

He denied knowing that the drugs were inside, saying he thought he was transporting a consignment of contraband cigarettes. On Friday, his four-year ordeal came to an end after the Appeals Court ruled in his favour.

The inmate looked calm when his conviction was set aside. “I slept well last night,” he said as he was being taken away, and thanked his lawyer Selva Naidu.

Singh was caught with 186.62g of heroin on him at a Housing Board block in Tampines in November 2008.

His lawyers argued that he had gone there to collect contraband cigarettes and…

View original 329 more words



February 25, 2013, 1:12 am
Filed under: News Articles, Singapore, Singapore Anti-Death Penalty Campaign

rachelabsinthe:

A piece of old news but because I have been busy, I have forgotten to share this here.

Originally posted on Singapore Anti-Death Penalty Campaign:

By K.c. Vijayan
The Straits Times
Tuesday, Jan 01, 2013

SINGAPORE – They were facing certain death by hanging, but may now get a lifeline as changes to the mandatory death penalty kick in from Jan 1.

A key plank in the amendments to the Penal Code, Criminal Procedure Code as well as the Misuse of Drugs Act will give these prisoners an opportunity to introduce new evidence to prove that they satisfy the new conditions for a life sentence instead of death.

In Singapore, a life sentence lasts for a prisoner’s natural life, but he can apply for a review of his sentence after he has served 20 years in jail.

The Attorney-General’s Chambers (AGC) told The Sunday Times on Friday that the changes would affect 32 inmates on death row, whose appeals had been dealt with previously.

The amended laws provide a chance for these prisoners to apply…

View original 620 more words




Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 187 other followers